On this page, we shall share some useful and valuable information so that you can get the best value from your black opal ring. You can also make informed decisions when you are going to place an order for your next women's black opal rings. So, please read the full article.
Black opal is the symbol of peace and goodwill. Being a natural wonder, it has the power of showing an iridescence of multiple colors from green to orange to yellow on it. Did you know dark opals are not only the darkest but also the rarest of all opals? It is also scarce compared to the other colors and color combinations. The price of black opal rings for women is higher than its other color variations.
For centuries, opal stone was a symbol of royalty and good luck. A novel was published in 1829 and the book took opal prices down by 50%. Within months of publishing the book, it destroyed the European opal market for almost 50 years.
So what happened? In Sir Walter Scott's best-selling book "Anne of Geuerstein", Lady Hermione was falsely accused of as a succubus (a demon in female form). Eventually, a drop of holy water fell on her opal. As a result, the gem became lightless and colorless as a common pebble. The readers interpreted the author indicated opal was a stone that attracts bad luck. Then they started avoid this gemstone in real life.
Now you judge whether it should be a good reason to validate the ridiculous belief for a long time.
There are basically three types of opals.
It is actually a refracted light. You know every opal gemstone has a unique and complex inner structure. When light goes through this complex structure, a unique dance of light and color is produced. The opal works like a mirror and produces a burst of vibrant color.
The brighter the light around an opal, the more it will reflect color back at you. As you move your opal ring to different angles, it will be changing its reflection and sparkle.
The word "opal" has derived from the Sanskrit word "upala". Upala means "precious stone". The Greek version of the word is "Opallios" which means "to see a change of color". Black opals are not commonly found even though you can easily find the white and pale versions. Basically, it has three types of meanings.
In ancient times, people used to wear opal gems to cure diseases. They also believed this gem was beneficial to their eyes.
Opal is a soft, delicate and fragile gemstone compared to other gemstones. Is it possible to wear it daily without losing brilliance? As long as you follow these rules, you can wear your opal ring everyday even if the opal is a solid opal, doublet or triplet.
If you properly care for your opal jewelry, it can last for a lifetime.
(1) Opal rings are not suitable for 24/7 wear because it is not a hard stone. Its hardness lies between 5.5 and 6.5 on the Mohs hardness scale.
(2) Because of its softness, you should take extra care when you wear and care for your opal ring.
(3) Never use any chemical, toothpaste or abrasive to clean your opal.
(4) Your opal needs occasional polishing. A polish can bring the brightness of your opal back. Go to a jeweler and the jeweler will polish it for you. If you want to sell your opal jewelry, get it polished first. As a result, you can sell it at a higher price.
(5) The opals that are used in jewelry contain from 1% to 6% water. So, a sudden change in temperature can damage your opal.
(6) Never try to wipe a bit of dirt off your opal. In Mohs scale, the hardness of dirt is from 7 to 7.5 while the hardness of your opal is from 5.5 to 6.5. So, an attempt to wipe dirt off can scratch your opal. Use only the cleaning method recommended below.
(7) We recommend you clean your fine opal jewelry every two months.
The purpose of cleaning your opal is not only cleaning the grime but also bringing back the brightness. If your black opal ring is new, you should clean it first. You should clean your opal ring from time to time for long term use and keep it looking good.
Warm soapy water is considered as the only safe way to clean opals. Besides, you can use a toothpick if you seriously need to clean hard to reach areas and heavy grimes. Do not forget to be very careful. Always wipe gently. Unwanted pressure can loosen, scratch or damage one or more parts of your fine opal jewelry.
Suppose you need to clean gold black opal rings for women. So, you should clean the opal part first and then the gold part to get the best result. Do not try to dry your opals with a hair dryer or blower. You should not place it in direct sunlight too.
Some opal owners use a clean toothbrush to clean the metal part of their opal jewelry. While they are cleaning the metal part with a toothbrush, they can accidentally scratch the opal. A small cotton bud should be a safer option.
If you find the cleaning process painful, you can take your opal jewelry to a jeweler. The jeweler can clean it for you. Nowadays some jewelers use ultrasonic cleaners. Beware! Your opal doublets and opal triplets are not suitable for ultrasonic cleaning. This type of cleaning can damage the glue bond of the opal. Even when you are planning to clean your vintage black opal rings or antique black opal rings, your first job is to check if these are opal doublets or opal triplets. Why? Because you are not going to use ultrasonic cleaning for opal doublets and opal triplets.
Sometimes the vibrations of an ultrasonic cleaner can crack your solid/pure/natural opal gemstone. So, it is better not to clean your opals using an ultrasonic cleaner.
The price of one carat opal can be a few dollars and even more than 10,000+ dollars. What factors make an opal cheap or expensive?
Oftentimes, synthetic opal is used in cheap opal rings but there are some jewelers who clearly state and sell only solid opal rings. We have noticed the minimum price of these opal rings is at least $250 USD, can rise even to $50,000 USD and the average price is $10,000+ USD. So, these are solid but expensive.
If you are ready to pay a good price for black opal rings and pendants, there are several good jewelers who can offer you custom design. First you need to decide on the design, other stones (if any) and your metal such as black opal ring with diamonds, gold black opal ring, vintage black opal ring, etc. Then select an opal gemstone from their website. Give them some time such as from 3 to 4 weeks and they will produce and ship your opal ring to you.
Can they design your black opal ring womens in such a way that it shines and helps you show it off? To understand the level of craftsmanship/workmanship of your jeweler in case you are placing a custom order, you should see their previously designed similar jewelry. You should also read the customer reviews (if any).
Although the deposits of opal have been found in the USA, Mexico, Brazil and Peru, Australia produces 97% of all opals in the world. What is the specialty of black opal rings from Australia?
Did you hear anything about Lightning Ridge, Australia? A Lightning Ridge black opal ring oftentimes guarantee a very high quality opal because Lighting Ridge is the main source for precious black opal gemstones from Australia. If your opal came from the Australian town of Lightning Ridge, it is most probably a real black opal ring.
Are Australian opals expensive? Why are collectors and jewelry lovers ready to pay a high price for these opals? Let us compare between price and value. To be honest, to assess the value of an opal gemstone is not an easy task.
Australian opals are usually the most expensive opals in the world. However, you will find opals are mined in several parts of Australia. So, quality can vary largely and so is the price. The price of per carat Australian opal can be from $10 to approximately $6,000.
From 0.50 to 1 carat black opal, the price range is from $30 to around $1,500 but the cost of high quality black opals weighing from 5 to 10 carats can be up to $50,000.
You can set a black opal gemstone in a ring with or without another stone. In the jewelry market, you will find a variety of opal products such as 14K black opal rings, black opal engagement rings with diamonds, black opal rings in gold, black opal rings with diamonds, sterling silver black opal rings for women, etc.
A black opal ring can cost from a few dollars to $20,000 USD per carat. Why does price vary so much? The price and value is influenced by several factors such as from the pattern to its iridescence.
Are you looking for a real black opal ring or genuine black opal ring? Surely, genuine black opal rings are available in the market even though their scarcity. Since pure black opals are found in limited supply, do not forget that you have to pay a very high price.
(1) Although opal is a soft store, a well designed ring can ensure that the design will protect your ring from everyday mishaps and accidents.
(2) It is believed that black opal can help you face your darkest fears and overcome them. What fears are we talking about? Phobias, chronic worry and anxiety attacks are the common ones.
(3) You should wear your black opal ring in your ring finger. To manifest your desires and requirements, wear your opal ring on every Friday evening.
(4) Do not buy an opal ring only for its beauty. Make sure you check its brilliance too because brilliance is more important. You actually need a magnificent gemstone full of life and vibrant radiant colors.
(5) Before you purchase an opal ring, do not forget to check its quality grade (if any). A quality grade can help you understand the true value of the opal.
(6) If you have enough budget, buy only the natural opal. Fake or cheap opals have dull blue or green transparent colors. Besides, you will find barely any visible fire in it.
(7) If you are purchasing a black opal ring from an online store, the item will oftentimes look less or more different from the listing photos. Still photos cannot capture the brilliance of a stone.
(8) To see the play of color in real life, watch high quality video clips of the opal ring. Watch and notice how the opal is changing its appearance under a certain lighting environment and different changing angles and movements.
(9) Every opal is unique from other opals. The quality and brightness of two opals can be the same but they will still less or more differently interact with light.
(10) You already know your jewelry opal can contain up to 6% water. Your opal will lose its play of color if its water evaporates. So, store your opal in soft and moist cotton to prolong its life. Add a few drops of water in cotton wool and place your opal in the wool. Finally, place it inside a sealed plastic bag. Some opal owners store opal jewelry in oil or glycerin. It does not protect their jewelry but makes the cleaning process painful.
(11) Since opals are vulnerable to extreme heat, we recommend you not wear them on a frigid night or scorching summer day.
(12) Your opal is also vulnerable to acids and alcohols. So, be extra careful when you use perfumes, colognes, and hairsprays. Just keep your opal away from these chemicals.
(13) If your opal gets fractured, take it to a jeweler. The jeweler can repair some part or all of it.
(14) Although opals are generally stable, heat from intense light can cause fracture lines in your opal.
(15) After years of wear, you will notice small scratches and scuff marks have made your opals dull looking by damaging shiny polish. It is quite expected and normal. When this happens, you should go to a jeweler for a polish and/or repair to bring new life to your opal.